Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Peppermint Bark

Last week I wrote about making chocolate bark with the leftovers of chocolate that I have from my business. I made three different kinds and boxed them up for friends. It was easy and fun, and I've never made bark before. I'm telling you, it is probably the easiest kind of chocolate candy to make out there. You really can't screw it up.


One of the main joys of bark (other than it being chocolate) is that you break it into pieces. Of course, you can cut it or mold it, but the broken rough edges are what makes it fun and kind of artsy/rustic.


For this recipe I used dark chocolate on the bottom and white chocolate on top. You can do that, or just keep it all white chocolate. The all white chocolate route would definitely be quicker and much simpler. I personally like dark chocolate better though, so I wanted to include it. I also like the contrasting look of the dark brown, white, and bits of red. So pretty!


Peppermint Bark
-2 cups white chocolate chips or candy melts
-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or candy melts
-about 1 cup of crushed candycanes

Cover a cookie sheet with with a layer of wax paper. Melt the semi-sweet (dark) chocolate chips either in the microwave or in a double boiler. (Be careful not to burn the chocolate in the microwave. Heat for 20 seconds then stir. Keep doing that until it is all melted.) Spread melted chocolate evenly onto the cookie sheet. Let it cool and harden. Melt the white chocolate and pour it onto the dark chocolate sheet. Spread it evenly. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the white chocolate.


Voila! You're done. Now wrap em up, make em pretty and give them as gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment