Monday, January 26, 2015

It's possible to be positive with a negative

(eeks! My digital pregnancy test!)
How confusing was that for a title?

But it's true, it is possible to be positive with a negative... a negative pregnancy test that is. Andy and I tried to get pregnant for one month (only one) and somehow it worked! Because we were trying, I was overly excited to take a pregnancy test at the soonest possible date that I could. So I marched my butt down to Rite Aide and bought the earliest response pregnancy test available. The box said, "now test 5 days sooner". I believed them, but it was a scam.

I held my pee all night and used 'first morning pee' as the box instructed. The flood gates opened and I tried to keep a consistent stream on the pregnancy stick. (Somehow that is always so difficult for me!) Two whole minutes of agony went by before I grabbed the test and hoped for the best. One line...only one line, no prego for me. There was slight disappointment, but I got over it since we were only on our first month of trying.

The 5 days leading up to my period went by and I didn't think twice about pregnancy. The test was negative and my fertile window wasn't for another two weeks, so my mind was preoccupied with everything else in life. Then, I missed the first day of my period. (It is usually right on time.) I started wondering once again if I could be pregnant. So, I took the second pregnancy test from the previous box of tests that I had bought. Once again, early morning pee, waiting in agony for two minutes, only one line. Still not pregnant. Silly me, I thought!

Four days go by. Now I had missed my period for 5 WHOLE days! For being someone with a very set monthly cycle, this was strange. I thought to myself, is there anything different, nausea or sore boobs? Nope, and kinda. I really didn't feel that different from normal. But once again, I trekked out to Rite Aide and bought TWO kinds of pregnancy tests. I was going to get to the bottom of this once and for all!

The first pregnancy test I took was with 'first morning pee' and it was another line test. I peed on the stick, waited in agony for two minutes, and saw...one line, oh wait, one solid line and one faint line. Could it be, was I seeing things?? Sure enough it was a faint line. So I decided to put it to the test yet again, with my second box of pregnancy tests. A fancier DIGITAL pregnancy test. Surely a digital test with batteries and words rather than lines would tell me the truth.

For a second test though, I would need more pee. I couldn't possibly wait until the next morning for 'first morning pee', so I drank a cup of coffee, ate a bowl of cereal, took all my vitamins, and checked facebook for 2 hours. After 2 hours I figured I could squeeze enough pee out for another test. So once again (for the 4th time), I peed on stick, waited in agony, and looked at the digital test. The moment of truth. PREGNANT, it said.

So yup, it is possible to be positive with a negative.


No comments:

Post a Comment